≡ Menu

Spreadsheet v2

If you’re looking for the 1001 books spreadsheet, you’ve come to the link for one of the old versions.

For the link to the new version, click

HERE

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Plekter 30 August, 2008, 9:17 pm

Wow, thank you, loved the first edition, will love this one even more! Thanks!

• Jorie 30 August, 2008, 9:57 pm

Thanks! This is an awesome spreadsheet. You’ve done an excellent job. The dropped list is especially helpful.

– Jorie

• Nadine 31 August, 2008, 5:41 pm

Download doesn’t work for me which is a shame. Would really like to have the new list.

• Ben 31 August, 2008, 10:49 pm

Thank you for this wonderful tool!

• Arukiyomi 1 September, 2008, 2:05 pm

Had someone point out that Javier Marias has one of his books, All Souls, listed twice in the 2008 list. The more recent book should have been Your Face Tomorrow not All Souls again. I’ve sorted this now and have changed the Excel files.

This is exactly the kind of feedback that Arukiyomi likes. Please, please point out more bugs or errors if you find them.

• StarCityWoman 1 September, 2008, 5:20 pm

Trouble downloading ~ after changing the zip file’s extension to xlsx, it downloads as a Read-Only file. Any troubleshooting ideas? I would really, REALLY like to use your wonderful list!
    Thanks.

• Arukiyomi 1 September, 2008, 7:48 pm

StarCityWoman – thanks for highlighting this issue. I’ve now realised that IE7 prevents you from downloading an .xlsx file directly, so I’ve zipped both files and upped them again to help IE7 users.

• still cant download 2 September, 2008, 5:47 am

hi

when i try to download the 2003 file – it does download the spreadsheet but then it states that data is lost – file error – and then excel shuts down. I also cant download the 2007 version – any suggestions

• StarCityWoman 2 September, 2008, 7:56 am

Thank you so much, Arukiyomi. The embedded Wiki link is particularly fabulous ~ instant access to plot summaries confirmed I’d read several books I wasn’t 100% certain about Takes the pain out of losing 39 books with the new edition. You’re a hero!

• LeLe 2 September, 2008, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I’m downloading the spreadsheet and checking out the list! Now I have some new goals.

• Idril 5 September, 2008, 12:23 pm

The 2003 download doesn’t work for me either. Such a shame 🙁

• Kara 7 September, 2008, 3:06 am

I am getting the “read only” message too. I can’t open either list. Do I have to use IE? I am using Firefox. Thanks!

• Kylie 9 September, 2008, 12:57 am

Thanks for the new download! One thing I noticed…in the 2008 Edition tab (2003 Excel Version), cell A1002 shows ‘2000s’ where I think it should be ‘pre-1700s’ 🙂

• Arukiyomi 9 September, 2008, 9:41 pm

Thanks for letting me know that Kylie. I’ve sorted that and uploaded new files.

• Kimberley 10 September, 2008, 1:47 pm

Oh dear… I wanted to use the 2007 file and i cant open it. I cant seem to change the file extension either. =(

• Dusk Peterson 10 September, 2008, 3:19 pm

What an impressively large amount of work you must have put into this. I especially appreciate the links to the Wikipedia entries, since Wikipedia often links to free online versions of public domain books. Ditto for the Google Books links. Thank you for putting this together.

• Lucid Lunatic 11 September, 2008, 12:49 am

Thanks for letting me know about this. I’ve downloaded it and will be adding things to my massive digital TBR pile (on my Kindle). A lot of this should be available for free through Project Gutenberg and similar organizations. But for those books I actually buy, I’ll make sure to go through your links.

• flamingandromeda 17 September, 2008, 5:16 am

Thanks for your comment on my blog…I really appreciate you sharing this freely with us! Wonderful!!

• Jim Harris 21 September, 2008, 3:11 am

Thanks for the wonderful list. Damn, I might have to buy the new edition. It was very helpful that you listed the dropped books. I have a book list comparison site at http://classicbooklists.com/ that you might be interested in.

• Suzanne 22 September, 2008, 11:49 pm

Thanks so much for this – what a fantastic tool!

I think _Red Harvest_ by Dashiell Hammett is missing. I have the 2006 edition of the book in front of me, and here’s the entry on page 339, but I don’t see _Red Harvest_ on either the 2008 tab or the 2006 removed books tab.

• Arukiyomi 24 September, 2008, 12:15 am

you know what Suzanne… you are absolutely right. It must be that there are 283 books which have been removed and Hammett’s should be one of them. It can’t be on the revised list as there are already 1001 books there. So, I’ll have to add that at some point.

Jim – thanks for the link to your interesting list comparison site. That must be a unique web project so grateful to know about that.

• Heather 24 September, 2008, 3:52 am

The 2003 version will not download properly. How can I get this to work? Thanks!!

• Arukiyomi 26 September, 2008, 11:49 pm

sorry Heather but I need more info to help me. Email totalrubbish AT gmail.com with more tech details of what OS, browser etc you’re using and what exactly happens when you click the button. Hundreds of people have successfully downloaded this version so it usually works. One or two have said they can’t get it though so I wish I could find out why.

• kimbofo 7 October, 2008, 9:09 pm

Wow! This is brilliant. It looks like a labour of love. Can’t wait to work my way through it to see what I’ve read and what I havent.

• martin 21 October, 2008, 11:26 am

Dear Arukiyomi and fellow book (and list) lovers,
    What a fantastic service. I was wondering, and others may have asked this, but do you have a list of the 282 books *added* in the new edition?
    This would really help me with my own list of books that I want to read.
    (I realise you have the new 1,001 and the removed 282, but is there a quick or available way to tease out the 282 new titles added?)
    Many thanks,
    Martin Boer
    Amsterdam

• martin 27 October, 2008, 1:42 pm

Hi John,
    Can you e-mail me again, I’ve misplaced your address and have a spreadsheet to send you.
    Cheers,
    Martin

• Jorie 28 October, 2008, 8:32 pm

Do you have the spreadsheet available with the ones you have read? Just curious . . .

• Arukiyomi 28 October, 2008, 11:51 pm

well, I have my own copy if that’s what you mean. I’ve read 133 off the new list and 33 off the 282 that were removed. Currently working on two more.

How about you?

• Sylvia 30 October, 2008, 1:52 am

Hi, just wondering, it looks like The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor is listed on the 2008 revision, but you also have it on the list of books cut from the 2006 edition. Is it still in? Thanks!

• Kathryn 10 November, 2008, 11:28 pm

This list is amazing!!! Thank you so much. So, apparently I have only read 2% of the books… I guess I need to get cracking!!!

• Joseph 12 November, 2008, 1:11 am

Hello, I’m a big fan of the original list. I downloaded the new 2003 version and even upgraded to Office 2003 to use it, but I’m getting the same problem I had when I tried it in Office Excel XP: any link that I click in the new file (such as “click HERE to see the new 1001 books list”) opens up my web browser and goes to the following page:

I’ve just discovered the tabs (duh!) but why don’t the links work properly? I find that I can’t even click and hold the cells to edit them because it opens my web browser.

Any ideas on what’s going on?

• Arukiyomi 15 November, 2008, 12:35 pm

Hey All,

some have been asking which books have been added. I’ve found this link which will give you what you want. Eventually, I might colour the additions in the v2 spreadsheet. Don’t hold your breath though!

• Arukiyomi 15 November, 2008, 12:44 pm

@ Sylvia… The Story of Lucy Gault should have been removed. Sorry about that.
    @ Joseph… links don’t work for me at all now actually! I think it’s something to do with the protection I’ve got on the workbook. If you search help to find out how to unprotect the workbook, you might be able to use the links.

• Christine 17 November, 2008, 11:57 am

Thank you for the great resource– I printed out the old list originally and checked the books I had already read off and highlighted the ones I owned-but-had-not-read in some kind of confusing color coded system. My count on the new list is 130, a drop of twenty some books from the old list. Which just means i have 1283 books to read before I die, when these list powers combine.

• martin 17 November, 2008, 1:32 pm

Hi Christine,

Good news! I’ve also made a combined list and come up with 1,281 books, so that’s two fewer for you to read.

Comparing our lists, I’ve noticed the following:
    * Three books were double-counted as they were also on 2006 list: Rameau’s Nephew (0066 and #35), The Call of the Wild (0223 and #88), Fear and Trembling (0948 and #927)
    * One book doesn’t exist on either list as far as I can tell: Insatiability (0334)
    * Two books are missing from your list (Some Prefer Nettles, The Life of a Good-for-Nothing)

So, 1,283 – 4 + 2 = 1,281

Cheers,

Martin Boer
    Amsterdam

• martin 17 November, 2008, 1:35 pm

Apologies, I guess I was responding to Christine and Arukiyomi (John).

But the total still stands, I believe, at 1,281, of which, so far, I’ve only read a modest 130…

• Lucy 18 November, 2008, 9:12 pm

hi,
    Really wanted to download the spreadsheet, but having real problems. Renamed the 2007 version to xls and now it says: error, data may be lost!!! sorry to bother – i’m not the best with computers!
    thank you!!

• Nikki 21 November, 2008, 12:48 pm

Hi,
    I am having exactly the same problem as Lucy. I download the 2007 version, change the file extension as you stated and it says data lost and won’t open. It’s really great that you have put this list together, do you mind sending a copy over to me though so I can use it?
    Many thanks.

• Nikki 21 November, 2008, 12:52 pm

Sorry to have bothered you I have now worked it out! Doh! Thankyou!

• Emma 25 November, 2008, 5:58 am

Hello! Love, love, love the spreadsheet and your photos of the books you’re reading. I don’t think it’s been mentioned as I’ve searched through the comments but not actually read them all…In the new spreadsheet, Ken Kesey’s Sometimes a Great Notion appears in both the updated list and the list of removed books. I believe it’s 281 Books You Used to Have to Read Before You Died, not 282, because one of those you still have to read before you die!

• Emma 25 November, 2008, 6:17 am

Ah, but as Suzanne noted on 9/22/08, Red Harvest brings it back up to 282!

e

• Nell 25 November, 2008, 4:41 pm

Hi,

I work for the company that created “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die”. We have recently set up a website for this and the other titles in the series, http://www.1001beforeyoudie.com.

We are considering updating this book again in the future, and would love to hear your opinions on this. What books should not be on the list? What books have we missed off? Please stop by and let us know!

• Leza Zaman 25 November, 2008, 5:28 pm

This is awesome!! Thank you so much!

• shelly 26 November, 2008, 11:18 pm

i can download this 2007 version, but it keeps doing it in read only. so i cant make additions to my version. can you tell me what conversion i need to use to make it so that i can typr in ‘r’ and ‘tbr’ on my spreadsheet and keep it updated?

• shelly 26 November, 2008, 11:18 pm

it keeps doing it in read only. so i cant make additions to my version. can you tell me what conversion i need to use to make it so that i can keep it updated?

• shelly 26 November, 2008, 11:46 pm

please help me. i cant seem to make this file anything other than read only. i would like it so that i can update it…